My clan

My clan
MY life is definitely good!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

A For Real Interview

I had an interview for a job today. That in itself is a rare and strange experience for me. I think I have had exactly four job interviews in my life (after college). I discovered after my interview with Austin Independent School District in 1976 that I was already a given hire because the principal at the school where I'd been a student teacher had requested they hire me for a position. The interviewer "went through the motions" and then revealed that I had a position waiting for me. He actually gave me a really hard time about things I thought were totally bogus and afterward realized he was just "having fun" with me. Anyway, I got a job I LOVED!!! I left teaching six years later to take on the full time mom/homemaker career.

Fast forward TWENTY-EIGHT years later and I decide that at Fabulous Fifty I am ready for a little part-time job outside the home. A friend had called and said that the man in her office that they subleased space from was looking for a part-time assistant. Was I still looking for a part-time job? I walked in; he told me what the job would entail; I told him I could do that and it began a wonderful working relationship with a man I consider a great friend.

Needing some supplemental income during this past year of financial crisis, I followed my daughter Lauren's lead to the Charleston Area Convention and Visitor's Bureau for a job at the Mt. Pleasant Visitor's Center. I simply asked for an application; the lady gave me one and suggested I fill it out right there at her desk. While working on the application, the manager appeared at the desk, sat down and began interviewing me on the spot. I was hired before I had finished the application. Am I lucky or what?! That was a FUN job, but, oh, my aching feet. Sadly, both of those jobs, and the lovely colleagues I met with them, ended when our time in Charleston came to an end in June.

I recently learned from a long time friend that the Catholic Student Center at Baylor University (St. Peter's) was sorely in need of an administrative assistant (READ: House Mom/'Get this place in shape!" kind of person). When the Diocese of Austin posted the job opening, it read like a list of my skill set - word for word. I am perfect for this job. I am pondering if it is perfect for me. Anyway, the Diocese does things "professionally". HR would be coming to St. Peter's to conduct interviews. Hmmm...

So, it went very well. I am sure I wowed them with my wit and charm and totally out of style outfit. Seriously, I think it went very well despite my inexperience as an interviewee. I got the feeling 3 of the 4 interviewers felt just as out of place in their role.

So, I said in my last blog post that I would talk about Seasons today. I am such a liar. I actually had good intentions of doing just that, but today's experience is just too fresh in my mind to wax poetic. Like I said yesterday...Tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment